Wednesday 26 June 2019

Confronted with Evil

We’re all too familiar with the evil of political hatred, student politics and murderers and hitmen produced by the democratic system. 

I have written about young people like Pervez and Javed who were inducted into evil. They were boys when they became thugs and criminals of the political parties. Pervez was more fortunate.

The question is: what do we do when confronted with evil?

For myself, I have found succor in a Hadith: when you are confronted with evil, fight it; if you can’t fight it, speak against it; if you can’t speak against it, hate it.

(Secular people, who scorn anything that smacks of religion, may shun these words of wisdom: there is nothing I can say to them except that wisdom should be welcome irrespective of its origin; especially in a struggle against evil, we need every resource we can muster.)

Today, we cannot fight evil; we cannot speak against it; but we can hate it.

The reason for this is not only that it is dangerous to do so, but that the source of the current evil is, in many cases, people we know very well.

I have known highly respected people with double standards: one for their children, and one for other people’s children. 

I could neither fight nor speak against them; in most cases, they were my elders.

Our current evil has highly sophisticated roots: it is the product of learned minds with brilliant careers. When one has a career to pursue, one has to say or do certain things to advance that career. Learned people are especially prone to such pressure. They must often say what is politic, rather than what is good. They confuse us, especially the young.

Therefore, we can only hate evil: and that is enough.

I never vote: because I do not want to contribute to an evil process. It is not only my soul that I wish to save, but the souls of young people perverted from their course. 

There can be no collective solution to the problem of evil: it is up to the individual, in his or her agony and isolation, to hate evil and pursue the truth.



No comments:

Post a Comment